Our constant endeavor to make our school,
a fitting place to find God in all things.
Our belief is in a transformed world full of love, justice and peace.
To do this, we will labor unceasingly in our vocation of
producing graduates that exemplify Faith, Excellence and Service.
THE HUMBLE BEGINNINGS
Christ the King College was founded by Rev. Fr. Edward Wasil, SJ in 1947 with the name Christ the King Academy. His main objective was to evangelize people through formal education. The institution since then became monumental of Roman Catholic education, being a pioneering catholic school in Gingoog.
The first infrastructure that was built was a one-story five-room wooden building which housed the high school students. Meanwhile, the social climate signaled the need for more teachers. Thus, the Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education became the pioneering academic program offered in 1948.
Subsequently, believing in the premise that formation begins at the early age of the child, the Grade School was opened in 1950. As the education apostolate prospered, the need for religion and theology teachers emerged. The invitation of the late Archbishop James T.D. Hayes, Archbishop of Cagayan de Oro City to the Religious of the Virgin Mary (RVM) Sisters in 1953 opened the era of RVM presence in Gingoog. The sisters started their mission through the teaching of religion and theology subjects.
The initial culmination of the efforts of the Jesuits came into the sight when the Complete Academic Secondary Level finally received Government Recognition in 1951, the BEED Course in 1952 and the Grade School Department in 1955. It was also most significant to note that the pro-poor option of the Jesuits had gone beyond city boundaries. It was in the same year that St. Mary’s Academy was opened at Lunao, Gingoog City, to cater to the poor students who cannot afford to commute to the city.
Through time, the transition of a young academy into a budding college has now become imperative. Curricular offerings continued to expand. Government recognition for Associate in Arts and Associate in Commercial Science were respectively granted in 1955.
The Spirit of the Columban Fathers
In 1956, the administration of Christ the King Academy was turned over to the Columban Fathers. Taking the reins of the first directorial job was the late Fr. William Adams, SSC. Like the Jesuits, the Columban painstakingly continued and enriched the pristine spirit and objective of the founder for five (5) years. It was during this dispensation that the one-year Collegiate Secretarial Course was granted Government recognition in 1959 and the Bachelor of Secondary Education in 1961.
Due to the limited number of priests to manage both the school and the parish, the late Archbishop decided to give both the ownership and administration of CKC and SMA to the RVM Congregation in 1961. From thence, the epoch of the RVM governance had begun.
The RVM Leadership
The first RVM Directress was the late Mother Maria Asuncion Chaves, RVM. Through her leadership, the school overcame difficulties of the city’s economic slump and bounced back into liquidity when the student population for both high school and college reached unprecedented levels in the years 1964 to 1968.
Infrastructure expansions and renovations were accomplished. Human resource development through scholarship grants to deserving faculty members received priority. More curricular programs were offered and granted government recognition such as the Bachelor of Science in Education in 1961, Liberal Arts in 1964 and the four-year Collegiate Normal Course in 1966.
The institution celebrated its Silver Jubilee in 1972. Despite the Martial law regime, it had become a living symbol of Christian formation and has remained a stronghold of Catholic commitment to community service.
To confirm its commitment to the poor, the Day Extension Class Program was established with a cottage industry oriented curriculum. It catered to self-supporting high school students. Two fourth year batches graduated from it until it was phased out in 1982 when the clients opted for a college preparatory curriculum. The Government Recognition of Bachelor of Science in Home Economics in 1974 reaffirmed the school’s commitment to the community’s needs.
The years onward propelled the institution to explore pathfinder strategies to address the need for academic excellence. PAASCU Self-survey then pervaded the academic milieu.
Its Ruby Jubilee in 1987 blazed another era of innovation and achievement. It was also a decade of thanksgiving to the Lord for the forty (40) apostolate years it had traversed. More blessings continued to spring. The PAASCU Level 1 Accredited Status was granted to the High School Department in 1987. The launching of the Fr. Edward Wasil Scholarship Foundation Incorporated in July 1995 further reaffirmed the school’s commitment to the poor.
November 1997 marked another jubilee year for the Christ the King College. This Golden Jubilee was CKC’s crowning glory. It was another historic sequel of redirection, another time for renewal of friendship; another opportunity for re-strengthening bonds of commitment to the community it had served; another best chance to affirm the academic leadership of previous administrators who gave their own notable contributions to CKC; a sacramental moment of giving tribute to the dedicated teachers who contributed to its greatness; a stage for wholesome reunion among its graduates; and most of all, it is an epoch of gratitude to the Almighty God.
Venturing to Greater Heights
New ventures started with the construction of a four level general services building and was completed in January 2006. The new infrastructure housed the institutional services rooms and offices which include; library, laboratories, clinic, guidance office, administrative offices and classrooms. After the blessing of the building the grade school department was transferred to the main building. A new gymnasium was added in March 2007.
The institution has continued to address the human resource needs not only for Gingoog City but also for Northern Mindanao and the country in general. Additional college courses were offered which were accessible and affordable to the clientele. Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Hotel Restaurant Management and Bachelor of Science in Business Administration were applied for in June 2006. These programs were granted recognition; Bachelor of Science in Nursing in December 22, 2009. Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management and Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in March 10, 2010. Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and Bachelor of Science in Information Systems were applied June 2007 and now on their fourth year of operations. Bachelor of Science in Criminology was applied during the Summer of 2009 and had a good number of pioneering students.
Hand in hand with the application of college degree courses were TESDA courses now fully accredited namely, Programming NC Level II, Computer Hardware Servicing NC Level II, Bread and Pastry Production NC level II & a 6-month Caregiving course.
Christ the King College has become a vital part of the city’s history, an eyewitness to the rise and fall of its economy, political leadership and cultural development. It was no passive watcher in the city’s transition. It continued to pursue the thrust of Christian evangelization through formal education. It has stood untiring in becoming a citadel of quality Christian education, as it upgraded its academic standards, implemented curricular innovations, initiated infrastructure development, empowered its human resources and ventured into community extension programs.
With the threshold of the third millennium at bay, CKC once again commits itself to thrive with a vibrant paradigm of educational leadership, directed with a reformulated vision to sustain its relevance through the march of time. For as long as the amalgam of the Jesuits spirit of selfless leadership “to form men and women for others:, the Columban idealism of “community service” and the Ignacian social reform agenda of “preferential option for the poor” shall continue to ring through the air of CKC tradition, this Institution shall constantly be the bedrock of quality catholic education and forever be at the frontiers of community service.